Around the NFL
The Seattle Seahawks have cap space to clear to attempt to rework their team into a competitive one with an effective offensive line, meaning the franchise tag isn’t a tool they’re using in 2021.
They weren’t going to use it on cornerback Shaquill Griffin, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source informed of the situation. The Seahawks will work to retain Griffin in free agency, Rapoport added, as Griffin will attract interest in a thin free-agent market at the position.
Seattle also did not use the tag to keep running back Chris Carson, NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reported. Carson has served as Seattle’s lead runner for the last three seasons and carries plenty of value for Pete Carroll’s desire to establish and rely on an effective rushing attack, making his potential departure a significant one for the Seahawks.
The window to remake its cap situation is now for Seattle. We’ll see if the Seahawks can get it done and keep their key guys, even without using the expensive tag.
Here are other stories Around The NFL is monitoring Tuesday:
- Jacksonville Jaguars coach Urban Meyer told reporters cornerback C.J. Henderson is recovering from labrum surgery. The Jaguars used their franchise tag on offensive tackle Cam Robinson, the team announced.
- Soon to be free-agent linebacker Jayon Brown received full and unrestricted medical clearance Friday from renowned elbow specialist Dr. Shawn O’Driscoll, Pelissero reported. The fourth-year veteran was in the midst of another strong season for the Titans before breaking his elbow in November. He’ll be one of the top players available at his position.
- The Chicago Bears placed the franchise tag on star receiver Allen Robinson, per Rapoport.
- The Carolina Panthers have officially placed the franchise tag on offensive lineman Taylor Moton. One of the best players on the team’s roster, Moton, 26, has started every game each of the last three seasons.
- The Atlanta Falcons have released veteran guard James Carpenter, Pelissero and Rapoport reported.
- The Buccaneers placed the franchise tag on wide receiver Chris Godwin. Tampa Bay also agreed to terms with star linebacker Lavonte David on a two-year contract extension worth $25 million, per Rapoport. NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo added the totality of the deal is for five years with three voidable seasons, which keeps his cap number at a manageable $3.5 million for 2021. The team tendered the following exclusive rights free agents: tight end Tanner Hudson, defensive lineman Jeremiah Ledbetter, defensive lineman Pat O’Connor and long snapper Zach Triner.
- The Tennessee Titans have informed cornerback Malcolm Butler of his release, Rapoport reported. A two-time Super Bowl winner and one-time Pro Bowler with the New England Patriots, Butler was a starter with the Titans for the past three seasons. Butler was three years into a five-year, $61.25 million deal and his release saves the Titans more than $10 million versus the cap, Rapoport added.
Tennessee did not franchise tag tight end Jonnu Smith, Rapoport reported, per an informed source. Smith, 25, recorded career highs in receptions (41), receiving yards (448) and touchdowns (8) in 2020. The team also announced the signing of wide receiver Marcus Johnson.
- The Cleveland Browns have terminated the contract of defensive end Adrian Clayborn. He started in two of his 15 appearances in 2020, compiling 12 tackles and 3.5 sacks.
- The L.A. Chargers did not franchise tag tight end Hunter Henry, Rapoport reported, per informed sources. The 26-year-old Henry recorded a career-high 60 receptions for 613 yards and four scores in 14 starts.
- The New York Giants franchise tagged defensive lineman Leonard Williams, Rapoport reported. The Giants also announced several staff moves: Rob Sale will be the new offensive line coach, former Giants OL coach Pat Flaherty will come aboard as a consultant; Derek Dooley will take over tight end coaching duties from Freddie Kitchens, who will now serve as a senior offensive assistant. Jeremy Pruitt is the Giants’ new senior defensive assistant.
- The New England Patriots have a deal in place to acquire Raiders offensive lineman Trent Brown, per Rapoport.
- The Detroit Lions did not use the franchise tag on wide receiver Kenny Golladay, per Pelissero, or defensive end Romeo Okwara, per Rapoport.
- The Minnesota Vikings released kicker Dan Bailey after three seasons. The 10th-year veteran made a career low 68.2% of his field goals in 2020.
- The New Orleans Saints put the franchise tag on safety Marcus Williams, per Rapoport.
- The Philadelphia Eagles announced they have released safety Blake Countess and defensive tackle Treyvon Hester.
- Cincinnati Bengals sack leader Carl Lawson will head to free agency after not being franchise-tagged, Rapoport reported, per an informed source. The Bengals would still like to retain Lawson, who recorded 5.5 sacks and 36 tackles last season, Rapoport added.
- The Houston Texans have waived fullback Cullen Gillaspia. A seventh-round pick in 2019, Gillaspia spent the majority of his time in Houston on special teams.
Giants GM Dave Gettleman on QB Daniel Jones: ‘We really believe he’s the guy’
New York Giants general manager Dave Gettleman and head coach Joe Judge were emphatic in their support of quarterback Daniel Jones going forward as QB1 when they spoke to the media on Tuesday.
Titans release starting CB Malcolm Butler, save $10M in cap space
Malcolm Butler’s lucrative, five-year contract didn’t make it past Year 3. The Titans have informed Butler they have released him, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday.
Buccaneers, LB Lavonte David agree to 2-year, $25M extension
The Buccaneers and linebacker Lavonte David have agreed on a two-year extension worth $25 million, Ian Rapoport reports. The deal includes three voidable years to reduce David’s cap hit in 2021, per Mike Garafolo.
Packers do not use franchise tag on RB Aaron Jones
Aaron Jones will be a free agent. The Packers didn’t use their franchise tag on the star running back before Tuesday’s deadline, Ian Rapoport reports.
Vikings cut K Dan Bailey after three seasons with team
Following the worst season of his career — and his third with Minnesota — kicker Dan Bailey was cut by the Vikings on Tuesday, the team announced.
Saints place franchise tag on safety Marcus Williams
The Saints aren’t letting the salary cap stop them from keeping their core. New Orleans is placing the franchise tag on free safety Marcus Williams, Ian Rapoport reports.
Former Bears OL, three-time Pro Bowler Kyle Long planning NFL comeback
Former Chicago Bears guard and three-time Pro Bowler Kyle Long is planning to make a comeback to the NFL.
Chicago Bears use franchise tag on star WR Allen Robinson
The Chicago Bears are administering their franchise tag on former Pro Bowl receiver Allen Robinson, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday.
Lions won’t use franchise tag on WR Kenny Golladay
On the same day the Lions officially welcomed an under-the-radar signing to bolster their changing receiving corps, they’re likely saying goodbye to their best option at the position. Detroit does not plan on franchise tagging Kenny Golladay, Tom Pelissero reports.
2021 NFL franchise tag tracker: Chris Godwin, Marcus Maye among 10 players tagged
The deadline for NFL teams to place the franchise or transition tags on prospective free agents has come and gone, and clubs around the league had some decisions to make.
Lions GM Brad Holmes: We’re ‘absolutely not’ out of draft’s QB market
The Lions trade for Jared Goff gave the impression they were settled at QB for the at least the next few years. But on the latest episode of the Huddle & Flow podcast, new GM Brad Holmes rejected the notion he’s out of the QB market for the upcoming draft.
Big left arrow icon Big right arrow icon Close icon Copy Url Three dots icon Down arrow icon Email icon Email icon Exit Fullscreen icon External link icon Facebook logo Football icon Facebook logo Instagram logo Snapchat logo YouTube logo TikTok logo Spotify logo LinkedIn logo Grid icon Key icon Left arrow icon Link icon Location icon Mail icon Menu icon Open icon Phone icon Play icon Radio icon Rewind icon Right arrow icon Search icon Select icon Selected icon TV icon Twitter logo Twitter logo Up arrow icon User icon Audio icon Tickets iconAdd to calendar iconNFC icon AFC icon NFL icon Carousel IconList ViewWebsite InstagramTwitterFacebookSnapchatShop IconProfile Overlay AvatarAddAirplayArrow LeftArrow RightArrow UpArrow DownAudioBack 5sBack 10sBack 30sCalendarChartCheckDownLeftRightUpChromecast OffChromecast OnCloseClosed CaptionsBench OffBench OnBroad OffBroad OnVertical OffVertical OnCommentDockDoneDownloadDraftFantasyFilterForward 5sForward 10sForward 30sFull Screen OffFull Screen OnGamepassGamesInsightsKeyLeaveLiveCombineDraftFantasyMenu GamesMenu NetworkMenu NewsMenu PlayoffsMenu Pro BowlMenu ShopMenu StandingsMenu StatsMenu Super BowlMenu TeamsMenu TicketsMenuMore HorizontalMore VerticalMy LocationNetworkNewsPauseplayMultiple PlayersSingle PlayerPlaylistPlayoffsPro BowlPurgeRefreshRemoveReplaySearchSettingsShare AndroidShare Copy URLShare EmailShare FacebookShare InstagramShare iOSShare SnapchatShare TwitterSkip NextSkip PreviousStandingsStarStatsSwapTeamsTicketsVideoVisibility OffVisibility OnVolume HiVolume LowVolume MediumVolume MuteWarningWebsite Caret downCaret upAt