The Pennsylvania Department of Health reported an increase of 6,759 new cases of coronavirus, as well as an increase of 144 new deaths across the state. Pennsylvania’s case count has risen to 327,829 total cases since March. The death toll crossed 10,000 total deaths spanning the pandemic, becoming the eighth state to reach the mark.
Your coronavirus update:
Coronavirus in Pa
With the 6,759 new cases on Wednesday, Pennsylvania has a seven-day rolling average of 6,568 new cases per day. More than a quarter of new tests are coming back positive, with a 25.5% positivity rate on an average of 25,745 new tests per day over the last week.
With 144 new deaths across the state, the highest single-day total since May 14, Pennsylvania has now reached 10,000 cases, 10,095 to be specific, joining New York, Texas, California, Florida, New Jersey, Illinois and Massachusetts in crossing that mark. In the spring, it took Pennsylvania a combined 81 days to get to 6,000 deaths. The state took 39 days to go from 6,000 to 7,000, 65 from 7,000 to 8,000, 47 from 8,000 to 9,000, and only 18 to reach 10,000 from there.
Coronavirus in the Lehigh Valley
The Lehigh Valley reported a total of 321 new cases on Wednesday — 181 in Lehigh County and 140 in Northampton County. That brings the Valley’s total case count to 18,680, giving the region a good chance at reaching 19,000 before the week ends and 20,000 by sometime early next week.
Lehigh County now has had a total of 10,403 cases of coronavirus, while Northampton County has had 8,277.
Lehigh County also reported one death on Wednesday, bringing its death toll to 381. Northampton County’s toll remains at 330, giving the whole Lehigh Valley 711 total deaths. While the state’s Department of Health has 330 deaths listed for Northampton County, the county sent out a release on Wednesday that stated, as of Nov. 20, that 337 deaths of Northampton County residents had been reported. The discrepancy between the two agencies is likely due to a lag in death reporting.
Here is how the Lehigh Valley’s neighboring Pennsylvania counties are faring with the coronavirus, from the state’s data:
- Berks County has 13,048 total cases and 456 deaths, with 139 new cases and no new deaths reported in the last day.
- Bucks County has 15,901 total cases and 668 deaths, with 254 new cases and eight new deaths reported in the last day.
- Carbon County has 1,150 total cases and 46 deaths, with 30 new cases and one new death reported in the last day.
- Monroe County has 3,040 total cases and 144 deaths, with 73 new cases and three new deaths reported in the last day.
- Montgomery County has 20,377 total cases and 928 deaths, with 267 new cases and four new deaths reported in the last day.
- Schuylkill County has 3,709 total cases and 163 deaths, with 158 new cases and four new deaths reported in the last day.
Our journalism needs your support. Please subscribe today to lehighvalleylive.com.
Connor Lagore may be reached at [email protected].
Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.